The Ride-sharing Service Guideline 2017 of Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) will come into force from March 8.
The ministry on February 22 issued a notice in this regard.
Under the guideline, ridesharing service companies will have to collect “Ride-sharing Services Company Enlistment Certificate” while the motor vehicle owners have to collect “Ride-sharing Motor Vehicle Enlistment Certificate.”
The policy has eight sections and 11 conditions. Use of new vehicles in ride-sharing services has been prohibited.
However, vehicles can be used for such services after a year of personal use. Fares will have to be fixed as per the Taxicab Act 2010.
Detailed information about vehicle owners and drivers in the apps will be showed so that the passengers can see the information if they want.
1) The companies have to take enlistment certificates from the BRTA
2) The owners of the apps must be TIN holders and pay regular tax. If the owner is a company, then it must be registered with the joint stock
3) Must have own office
4) Must have at least 100 vehicles to provide service in Dhaka, 50 in Chittagong and 20 in other districts
5) The vehicles’ taxes must be paid and route permits have to be updated
6) An agreement between the vehicle owner and the driver
7) Not parking the vehicle in any place other than the stands
8) BTRC website must have detailed information about the service provider organizations, vehicle owners and drivers
9) Tk100,000 and other fees must be submitted with application for registration. The registration duration will be three years. The renewal fee will be Tk10,000
10) Complaints can be filed against the owners and drivers online
11) For breach of discipline, the licences can be cancelled and cases under the existing laws can be filed against the offenders
These conditions will be applicable for both private cars and motorcycles.
On January 15, the Cabinet had approved the draft of the guideline legalizing smartphone application-based ride-hailing services such as Uber and Pathao.
Editor & Publisher : Md. Motiur Rahman
Pritam-Zaman Tower, Level 03, Suite No: 401/A, 37/2 Bir Protik Gazi Dastagir Road, Purana Palton, Dhaka-1000
Cell : (+88) 01706 666 716, (+88) 01711 145 898, Phone: +88 02-41051180-81